ss jeremiah o’Brien
LIFE RAFT LAUNCHING INSTRUCTIONS
Life rafts are to be deployed only at master’s command
1. UPON COMMAND TO LAUNCH RAFTS; REMOVE painter from hydrostatic release
by disconnecting shackle at red “weak link.” (See page on hydrostatic release)
2. PULL OUT SEA PAINTER AND SECURE TO ship.
3. DISCONNECT Pelican HOOK AND REMOVE STRAP THAT GOES OVER RAFT WHILE IN CRADLE.
(near hydrostatic release mechanism)
4. LIFT RAFT AND THROW OVERBOARD (OBTAIN HELP FROM OTHERS STANDING BY).
5. WHEN RAFT IS IN WATER, APPLY FIRM TUG TO SEA PAINTER TO INFLATE RAFT.
6. COMMENCE DISEMBARKATION. IF TIME PERMITS DISEMBARK FROM the
main DECK. IF NOT POSSIBLE, DISEMBARK FROM Boat DECK. DISEMBARK IN AN
ORDERLY FASHION, DO NOT PANIC. JUMP OVERBOARD WITH lifejackets securely
in place, LEGS CROSSED AND ARMS CROSSED IN FRONT. DON’T JUMP INTO RAFT AND
AVOID JUMPING ON OTHERS IN THE WATER.
7. FIRST PERSON TO BOARD RAFT ASSISTS OTHERS to ENTER RAFT.
8. WHEN ALL ARE INSIDE RAFT OR IF SHIP IS SINKING, CUT SEA
PAINTER WITH KNIFE SUPPLIED IN RAFT. PERSON IN CHARGE
SHOULD TAKE MUSTER AND ORGANIZE CREW TO FACILITATE RESCUE AND SURVIVAL.
SAFETY GEAR AND RATIONS INSIDE OF RAFT SHOULD BE INVENTORIED AND CONTROLLED.